Mr. Dhakal is a first-generation serial entrepreneur of Nepal. He co-founded the IME conglomerate and played a pivotal role in institutionalizing the remittance business in Nepal. He had the vision to globalize the Remittance services and expand the business in South Asia. This was in order to help the millions of migrant workers in the Middle East and Malaysia to send remittances home in the most efficient and cost-effective way. This mechanism changed the dynamics of remittances in South Asia in general and Nepal in particular. Nepal as a Country has historically found it difficult to give financial access to all its citizens especially in areas outside the main cities. The widespread presence of IME payout locations has served the community as a whole by creating a much wider access network.
The IME conglomerate consists of a number of companies with business interests in banking, remittance, trading, IT, communications, energy, tourism, automobiles, insurance and infotainment. Mr. Dhakal took the IME conglomerate to the global marketplace and established money service institutions in Malaysia, the UK, the USA and Japan and successfully completed the Merger & Acquisition of a few companies that are listed in the NASDAQ Fortune 500 Companies.
It was Mr. Dhakal’s vision that contributed to evolving the family business into a corporate one where his team members now align with the group’s slogan Pioneering Spirit, the driving force of the team. His vision is to empower the youth by creating opportunities for them and making them the owners of the group. His team members not only work for the company, but also own it. The IME conglomerate is promoting social entrepreneurship and has already announced startup funds to explore the business potential of Nepal and create opportunities for its youth. In 2009, he co- founded IME Foundation that conducts philanthropic activities.
Born on 24 November 1975 in Baglung, a district in the western part of Nepal, Mr. Dhakal completed his school education in Baglung and moved to Kathmandu for his higher studies. He has done a Master’s of Business Studies (MBS) from Tribhuvan University, an Entrepreneurial Master’s Program (EMP) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA and went to the London Business School (LBS) Growth Forum in London. He has done Owner/President Management Program (OPM) at Harvard Business School. He is the President of Nepal Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Member of National Council, Confederation of Nepalese Industries (CNI) and Executive Committee Member of Nepal India Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NICCI).
Chandol-4, Kathmandu, Nepal
24 November 1975
- Managing Director : IME Group of Companies, a business conglomerate that has a wide array of investment portfolios in banking, remittance, trading, IT, communication, energy, tourism, automobiles, insurance and infotainment.
- President : Nepal Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Chairman : IME General Insurance Ltd.
: Hathway Investment Nepal Ltd.
- Member : National Council, Confederation of Nepalese Industries (CNI)
- Executive Member : Nepal India Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NICCI)
- The Then Chairman : IME Financial Institution Ltd. (merged with Global Bank Ltd. and became Global IME Bank Ltd.)
- Managing Director : IME (M) SDN BHD, Kuala Lumpur, Subsidiary of
- (The Then) : Euronet Worldwide, a company listed in NASDA : IME (UK) Limited, London, UK: IME Remit Inc., New York, USA
- Owner/President Management (OPM) from Harvard Business School: Entrepreneurial Master’s Program (EMP), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA (three years program) : LBS Growth Forum from London Business School : Masters in Business Studies (MBS), Tribhuvan University, Nepal